In this review, we're going to explore Simplecast, a powerful podcast hosting platform that has been making waves in the podcasting world.
Whether you're just starting out or you're a seasoned podcaster, this article is meant to give you an in-depth look at everything Simplecast has to offer, so you can compare it to other platforms and decide if it's the right fit for your podcasting journey.
We'll be covering everything from its unique features and pricing to pros and cons, as well as steps on how to get started with the platform.
Let dive in!
Disclosure: Although I receive affiliate compensation at no additional cost to you to support this site that compensation in no way influences my recommendations, which are strictly informed by my 10+ years of online business experience consulting for clients large and small. My aim is to always recommend tools that offer the best return for your investment (for more details, read my Affiliate Disclosure).
What Is Simplecast?
Simplecast is a user-friendly podcast hosting platform designed to make it easy for podcasters to distribute, manage, and grow their shows.
Launched in 2013, Simplecast has been constantly evolving to offer a wide range of features that cater to both beginners and experienced podcasters.
With its intuitive interface and powerful tools, Simplecast aims to simplify the podcasting process, helping creators focus on producing great content while the platform takes care of the technical aspects of hosting and distribution.
How Is Simplecast Different From Other Podcasting Platforms?
Simplecast stands out from other podcast hosting platforms thanks to its ease of use, powerful analytics, and unique features like Simplecast Recast and the customizable player Simplecast.
While other platforms offer similar services, Simplecast provides a seamless experience that makes podcast management a breeze.
Here are some key features that set Simplecast apart:
- User-friendly interface: Simplecast's clean and intuitive dashboard makes it easy for users to navigate and manage their podcasts, even if they're new to podcasting. This user-centric design sets it apart from other platforms that might be more complex or less organized.
- Powerful analytics: Simplecast offers in-depth analytics to help podcasters understand their audience and make data-driven decisions. The platform provides insights on downloads, listener locations, devices used, and more, allowing creators to fine-tune their content and marketing strategies.
- Simplecast Recast: This unique feature enables podcasters to create and share short, engaging clips from their episodes on social media, helping to promote their show and attract new listeners. This tool is exclusive to Simplecast, setting it apart from competitors.
- Customizable player: The Simplecast player is highly customizable, allowing podcasters to match the look and feel of their brand. It also provides options to enable or disable download and share buttons, offering more control over the listening experience.
Simplecast Pros & Cons
- Easy-to-use interface
- Powerful analytics and reporting
- Unique features like Simplecast Recast
- Great customer support
- Reliable hosting and distribution
- Limited customization options for the free plan
- Pricing might feel higher compared to some competitors
Simplecast offers three pricing tiers that cater to different needs and budgets. Here's a quick overview of each plan:
The Basic plan is perfect for new podcasters who are just starting out and need a simple, affordable solution. It includes unlimited storage, basic analytics, and two team member seats.
You'll also get access to Simplecast's customizable podcast player and distribution to major platforms like Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts.
Stepping up to the Essential plan, you'll unlock advanced features that help you grow and manage your podcast more effectively.
This plan includes everything from the Basic plan plus advanced analytics, Simplecast Recast, and priority customer support.
It's a great choice for podcasters who want to take their show to the next level. The essential plan includes four team member seats.
The Growth plan is designed for experienced podcasters or businesses with multiple shows, offering the most comprehensive set of features.
In addition to everything in the Essential plan, you'll get multi-show management, team collaboration tools, access to the Simplecast API, plus nine team member seats.
If you're serious about podcasting and need a robust platform to support your growth, this is the plan for you.
While Simplecast's pricing might be a bit higher than some alternatives, the features and reliability make it worth the investment.
Plus, keep an eye out for special offers and discounts that can help you save on your subscription.
How to Get Started With Simplecast
Ready to give Simplecast a try? Let's walk you through the process of getting your podcast up and running on the platform, from signing up to promoting your show.
Just follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Sign up for a Simplecast account and choose your pricing plan:
- Visit the Simplecast website and click on "Get Started."
- Choose between the Basic, Essential, or Growth pricing plans depending on your needs and budget.
- Create an account using your email address or sign in with an existing Google or Apple account.
Step 2: Set up your podcast by adding details like title, description, and cover art:
- Once you've signed up, you'll be prompted to enter your podcast details.
- Add your podcast title, a brief description, and choose a category that best fits your show's theme.
- Upload your cover art (min: 1400 x 1400 pixels, max: 3000 x 3000 pixels, file size: 512 KB or lower, must be either JPG or PNG).
- Complete any additional information required, like language and copyright information.
Step 3: Upload your first episode:
- Click on "Add a New Episode" in your dashboard.
- Upload your audio file (MP3 format is recommended).
- Fill in the episode's title, description, and any additional details like episode number and season.
- Choose a publish date and time or publish it immediately.
- Hit "Publish," and your episode will be live!
Step 4: Customize your podcast player, and embed it on your website:
- From your Simplecast dashboard, navigate to the "Customize" tab.
- Choose a theme and color scheme that matches your brand.
- Adjust the player settings, such as enabling or disabling download and share buttons.
- Once you're happy with your player's appearance, copy the embed code provided.
- Paste the embed code into your website's HTML where you want the player to appear.
Step 5: Start promoting your podcast using Simplecast Recast and other marketing tools:
- Use Simplecast Recast to create short, shareable clips of your podcast episodes for social media promotion.
- Share your podcast episodes on social media platforms, and encourage your followers to like, comment, and share.
- Utilize Simplecast's built-in analytics to monitor your podcast's performance and make data-driven decisions to grow your audience.
- Network with other podcasters and consider collaborating on episodes or cross-promoting each other's shows.
Simplecast is an impressive podcast hosting platform that deserves serious consideration by podcasters of all experience levels.
With its user-friendly interface, powerful analytics, and unique features like Simplecast Recast, it certainly stands out among its competitors.
While the pricing may be a bit higher than some other options on the market, the value provided by Simplecast is hard to ignore.
By investing in this platform, you're not only getting a reliable hosting service but also a range of tools to help you grow and promote your podcast effectively.
This can save you time and effort in the long run, making the slightly higher price tag well worth it.
Good luck on your podcasting journey!